Occupational Health and Safety
At Barminco we see excellence in safety as a critical success factor in delivering value to our stakeholders.
We believe that all tasks can be completed safely and that all incidents are avoidable. We are committed to the long term goal of operating an injury free business.
To achieve this we will:
- Build a team of competent, engaged people through establishing and promoting safe behaviours in our employees, sub-contractors and visitors and ensuring all employees are appropriately trained and competent at the tasks we ask them to do.
- Build a robust Safety Management System through the development and continuous improvement of our Integrated Management System (IMS) so we can:
- Manage Risks through the appropriate application of skills and processes.
- Comply with our legislative obligations and industry standards.
- Monitor our progress and celebrate our successes, so that we are seen by our stakeholders to represent best practice in underground mining Safety and Sustainability through the quality of our people, systems, behaviours and the outcomes we deliver.
Barminco is committed to effective environmental control as an integral component of well managed operations.
Our Environmental objectives are to:
- Return each site to a safe and stable condition with environmental, heritage and conservation values intact.
- Prevent pollution of the environment by minimising noise, dust, air emissions and hydrocarbon or chemical spills.
- Reduce our environmental footprint, by minimising energy use, greenhouse emissions, water use and waste generation.
- Comply with applicable environmental legal requirements, develop appropriate Environmental Management Systems and continually improve our environmental performance.
To achieve these objectives we will, within the scope of our contracted responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and monitor an environmental management plan for each operation.
- Provide training to enable employees to recognise, manage and monitor the potential environmental impact of their activities.
- Design, operate and decommission all sites and associated infrastructure to avoid any adverse environmental impact.
Barminco is committed to providing contracting and consulting services which are recognised by our stakeholders as being best practice in underground mining.
To achieve this we will:
- Understand our clients’ needs and expectations and provide products and services that consistently meet or exceed our clients’ requirements.
- Establish and review objectives for our products and services.
- Continually seek to improve the effectiveness of the company’s management system in compliance to the ISO 9001 standard.
We are committed to an Integrated Management System that supports and encourages a culture of safety, teamwork, continuing improvement and stakeholder value delivery.
Barminco recognises the importance of, and is committed to, establishing and maintaining lasting and positive relationships with the communities within which we operate. We acknowledge our role in contributing towards the social and economic development in the locations where we operate and our company values guide these interactions.
We demonstrate our values by:
- Acting as a responsible member of the communities in which we operate.
- Understanding our impact on local communities and work together to create positive outcomes from our involvement.
- Engaging regularly, openly and honestly with all stakeholders affected by our operations and take their views into account in our decision-making processes.
- Actively seek to understand and demonstrate respect for the traditions, culture, heritage, values, views and rights of the members of the communities in which we operate.
The Executive team are accountable to the Barminco Board for ensuring this policy is effectively implemented.
Responsibility for the application of this policy rests with all Barminco managers and is a shared responsibility of employees and contractors engaged in activities under Barminco’s control.
Equity and Diversity
Barminco recognises that developing a diverse workforce is critical in building our organisational capability and maintaining a high level of performance. Diversity may result from a range of factors including place of origin, age, gender, cultural heritage, education, physical ability, appearance, language and family responsibilities.
Discrimination is an unacceptable practice which is contrary to the spirit and intent of this policy. Equal opportunity in employment is a responsibility that exists throughout the term of the employment relationship and includes recruitment, training and professional development and promotion. Barminco is committed to ensuring that all employees are treated fairly and with dignity and respect.
Barminco achieves these objectives by:
- Recruiting and managing on the basis of a person’s competence and performance.
- Creating a culture that empowers and rewards people to act in accordance with this policy.
- Valuing and respecting the distinctive skills, experiences and perspectives each individual brings to the workplace.
- Ensuring we have clear reporting processes and procedures in place.
- Creating an inclusive, productive and safe work environment by taking action to prevent and stop discrimination, harassment and bullying.
Managing diversity is underpinned by our company values and is a key accountability of our managers and a shared responsibility of every employee and contractor engaged in activities under Barminco control.
Barminco is committed to providing a harmonious place of work for all its employees. It will manage its workplace in a manner which will provide a competent and productive workforce that is dedicated to the smooth and efficient operation of all sites. The company has policies, standards and training in place to facilitate professional and collaborative working relationships between managers and employees.
Barminco will recruit qualified employees, manage its employment and payroll processes to ensure compliance with all legal and contractual requirements and ensure employees are inducted and trained, particularly in relation to safety. Employee grievances will be resolved in a timely manner by open communication and appropriate procedures without disruption to work.
Barminco operates in several states and complies with Industry Awards and individual or collective agreement to which it is a signatory. Whilst the Site Manager is accountable for industrial relations on site, the Executive General Manager of Human Resources ensure compliance with these requirements and provides advice, support, application and assistance with all related matters. Barminco is a member of Australian Mines and Metals Association (AMMA), an employer organisation specialising in industrial relations matters and may utilise AMMA’s services where deemed necessary.
Barminco key workplace relations objectives are to:
- Provide a harmonious work environment.
- Prevent or minimise any industrial issues.
- Achieve no lost time due to industrial action.
- Promote effective use of our dispute procedure at all times.
- Attempt to isolate Barminco activities from any external union activity or industrial disputes.
- Comply with laws and industrial instruments.
Barminco recognises the importance of, and is committed to, protecting the privacy of personal information. When executing the functions and operations of Barminco, we may collect personal information directly from individuals, including employees, prospective employees, clients, suppliers and investors. We may also collect personal information from indirect sources such as website cookies, subcontractors or third party recruitment agencies. Personal Information may include names, addresses and birth dates. Barminco will only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose(s) for which it was collected. Employee personal information shall be used for purposes related to the employment relationship.
Barminco may also collect sensitive information if required for its standard functions and operations. Sensitive information, which can include health information, racial origins, marital status and criminal record, will only be collected with the individual’s prior consent.
Subject to reasonable protective measures and prior consent, Barminco may disclose personal information where necessary, authorised or required by law including to overseas third parties. To ensure the privacy of personal information, Barminco, its employees, contractors and consultants will take steps, so far as practical and in all cases as required by law, to:
- embed privacy protections into the design of information handling practices to protect personal information from misuse, interference or loss;
- take steps to ensure that the information stored is accurate and up-to-date; and
- where data is no longer required by law or for the primary purpose it was obtained, destroy or de-identify it.
In the event Barminco becomes aware of a data breach we will contain, assess and respond to the breach appropriately to minimise potential damage to the affected people. In the event of an Eligible Data Breach, where we believe there is a serious risk of harm to individuals, Barminco will endeavour to resolve issues promptly and ensure that the relevant Supervisory Authority and individuals effected are notified.