Dugald River, Queensland
Client: MMG Limited
Commencement Date: 2012
Scope: Barminco was initially awarded a two-and-a-half-year contract to advance the project’s two exploration declines and establish production levels and other infrastructure in February 2012, this contract was then extended to incorporate trial stoping and further development. In July 2016 Barminco was awarded a new development and production contract for 5 years.
Services: Development, Production and ROM Management
Dugald River is located approximately 65km north west of Cloncurry in Queensland.
Dugald River is positioned to be within the world’s top ten zinc mines when operational. The mine plan will support a 1.7 Mtpa operation with annual production of around 170,000 tonnes of zinc in zinc concentrate, plus by-products. The mine will operate over an estimated 25 years while the ore body remains open at depth.
- Excellent safety record – LTI free since commencement.
- Barminco has been engaged to perform all underground mining since site commencement.
- Initially commenced mining in February 2012, cutting both a north and south portal. As a result, both mines were developed simultaneously to a depth of approximately 490 vertical metres.
- In March 2014, the mine transitioned from a full development scope of works to a production trial stoping operation and, at the end of 2014, the trial stoping program was completed ahead of schedule.
- The results of the trial identified geological conditions that differed to those used to plan the original scope of the mine, requiring a re-evaluation and redesign of the project to ensure it was viable.
- In 2015, the operation returned to full development contract to advance both the north and south mines.
- Achieved world record of over 700m in one month with a single Jumbo crew.
- In 2016 the development and production contract went to open tender, with Barminco Limited being awarded a new 5-year contract as of the 1st of July 2016.
- September 2017 Barminco Limited awarded the ROM contract which involves management of the ore surface stock piles and feeding the crusher.
- Mill construction is 96% complete with ore being fed through the mill for commissioning as of October 2017.
- Construction of the Dugald River zinc project is ahead of schedule, the mine officially opened on the 8th November 2017 and the first concentrate was shipped out after the official opening.